The long anticipated official trailer for Stranger Things' third season is FINALLY here after what feels like years! The trailer is very telling with what we can expect in season three with it's characters and monsters. The characters are older and the sibling creators wanted to accurately represent the character's growth and where they are at in life. They are no longer the young kids we first got to know in season three and even season two; literally you cannot get past the reality that the actors are older and so their characters have to reflect that. Very much like the Harry Potter series where a young Harry Potter and friends literally grew up in the movies and on screen, filmmakers followed in their footsteps. One of the creators/siblings, Ross Duffer told the Hollywood Reporter after season two on filming with aging kids:
"Even if we wanted to hop into the action faster, we couldn't. Our kids are aging. We can only write and produce the show so fast. They're going to be almost a year older by the time we start shooting season three. It provides certain challenges. You can't start right after season two ended. It forces you to do a time jump.
It's cool, though. The audience is going to be able to watch these kids come of age every year. The closest example is Harry Potter. Watching those kids and actors grow up in front of the camera was, to me, very powerful. I mean, I wasn't a kid when I experienced that, and I can only imagine if you were a kid and you were their age, it would have been even more powerful. That's what I'm excited about. It's a long way of saying that yeah, we're going to do a time jump...But what I like is that it makes you evolve the show."
And evolve they did! Check out the nuggets of information about the series they release or hint at here in the season 3 trailer:
A lot is going on here in this trailer. A couple breakdowns of what we can expect:
1) The kids are getting older and with that there might be some distancing of friends as they grow and go in different directions. It looks like Will is at the end of the pack when it comes to maturing and his friends are maturing at a faster rate than he is and may be leaving him behind.
2) There is a new monster that looks like a demogorgon dragon. In addition the bully turned semi good guy Billy Montgomery, Max's brother is shown sporting some sort of nasty wound on his arm that many fans are speculating that Billy & the demogorgon dragon are one in the same!!
3) The Upside Down might not be in the past as the characters would like to think. From the trailer, it seems that Eleven might still be battling with having visions of that world or somehow being periodically sucked back into it.
4) Steve Harrington might be in grave danger come the end of this season with the trailer showing him with a black eye and a needle in his neck.
5) New friendships are explored. We see more of Dusty and Steve hanging out and being "best buds". Then Eleven and Max seem to be on good terms and spending more one on one time. Then a new character is introduced, Robin.
I don't know about you guys but I'm excited for season 3!